Revolutionary Emergency Partners
When a crisis or problem can’t be addressed by our existing support network, we need a trusted resource to call for help. REP’s Revolutionary Emergency Partners provide emergency care to community members via a secure hotline.
The hotline offers two kinds of assistance: direct support from a Community Resourcer and connection to a Response Team.
- When a community member calls the hotline number they will be connected to a Community Resourcer trained in mental health first aid and de-escalation.
- Depending on the needs of the caller, the Community Resourcer will either connect the caller to trusted community resources for further support or send a Response Team to the caller’s location to assist in person to provide immediate support.
What can I call the REP emergency line for?
- During this phase of REP’s rollout, we are focusing on the 80% of 911 calls that involve non-violent emergencies. Things like:
- Noise complaints
- Mental health crises and support
- Neighbor complaints
- Conflict de-escalation
- Referral to community resources
- Some “welfare check” calls
- Ex. “I’m at work and my kid is home alone and I haven’t heard from them. Can you make sure they are there?”
What should I *not* call the REP emergency line for?
- During Phase 1, REP is not equipped to respond to emergency calls involving:
- Medical crises
- In-progress burglary or theft
- Domestic abuse or violence in progress
- Anything involving active violence
What REP is and what it isn’t:
- Revolutionary Emergency Partners is not a 1:1 replacement for 911
- REP’s projects are evolving first steps in building tools for more connected and resourced communities that know where to turn for trusted help without fear of violence or coercion.
- REP is one tool in a larger abolitionist project of building a vast, interconnected ecosystem of projects and resources that build the conditions for safety, freedom, and dignity in our communities.
- REP is one approach to ensuring that our communities, in particular Black communities and other communities of color, can access trusted, consent-based help when they need it.
- REP is still learning how to build what we need. REP has a “Phase” approach to development to ensure that projects stay aligned with REP’s values as they grow:
- Phase 1 of the Revolutionary Emergency Partners emergency line is 3 months: from late June through late September 2021.
- Revolutionary Emergency Partners will pause for one month in October 2021 to evaluate what worked and what didn’t work before launching Phase 2 in November 2021.
- This phased approach is grounded in REP’s commitment to regenerative and restorative practice instead of reactionary response. Planned, intentional pauses for reflection are key to the health of REP’s work.